Neapolitan Lentil Pasta (Pasta e Lenticchie)By Chatelaine
Ditali pasta can be replaced by macaroni, orecchiette or any other type of short extruded pasta.
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 celery stalks , finely diced
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 large onion , finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 150-mL can tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth , divided
- 2 cups ditali pasta
- 1 1/2 cups drained rehydrated or canned brown lentils
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk , such as almond
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups baby arugula , (optional)
- Grated vegan parmesan , (optional)
- Heat a pot over medium high. Add oil, then celery, carrot and onion. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 6 min. Add garlic, thyme and salt. Season with pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown, 3 to 4 min.
- Stir in tomato paste and ½ cup broth. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is bubbling and darkens to a brick-red colour, 8 to 10 min.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups broth, pasta, lentils, milk and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until pasta is just tender and liquid is thickened and reduced by more than half, 18 to 20 min. Discard bay leaves.
- Serve in bowls with baby arugula and vegan parmesan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 81 g,
- 4 g,
- 13 g,
- 690 mg.