Green Tomato and Shrimp TostadaBy Chatelaine
- 2 medium green tomatoes , very thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 1 jalapeño , very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce , divided
- 1 small avocado , pitted and peeled
- 600 g large raw frozen shrimp , thawed and peeled
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 8 corn tostadas
- Toss tomatoes with onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice and 1 tbsp fish sauce in a medium bowl. Set aside to marinate for 10 min.
- Pour tomato marinating liquid into a food processor, leaving vegetables in bowl. Add avocado and 1/2 cup green tomato mixture to blender. Whirl until smooth.
- Toss shrimp with remaining 1 tbsp fish sauce, garlic and cumin in a medium bowl. Heat a very large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, and then shrimp. Cook until shrimp turns pink, about 3 min.
- Divide avocado purée among tostadas. Top with shrimp and remaining green tomato mixture.
If you have a mandoline, carefully use it to thinly slice your tomatoes, onion and jalapeno.