20 minutes of prep, and 35 minutes total, will land you this fresh, fast weeknight meal.
Crispy Chicken Thighs With Grilled Celery And Orange SaladBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Day four of our five easy weeknight meals made in 40 minutes or less! Crispy chicken thighs and a zesty salad to pull you through to Friday.
- 1 head celery , leaves reserved
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 3 oranges
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tsp Louisiana-style hot sauce , divided
- Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Separate celery stalks. Leaving the larger and thicker stalks intact, chop any thinner inside stalks and leaves into 1-in. pieces and set aside.
- Oil grill. Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt. Arrange skin-side down on grill. Add whole celery stalks. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, lid closed, turning chicken and celery every 5 min until chicken feels springy and celery is lightly charred, 20 to 25 min.
- Meanwhile, slice peel from top and bottom of oranges. Cut off and discard remaining peel, including white pith, so flesh is showing. Cut out segments onto a plate. Squeeze leftover orange pulp to extract remaining juice into a small bowl.
- Combine onion with 1 tbsp orange juice, vinegar, honey and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a small frying pan. Set over medium. Cook, stirring, until onion softens, about 3 min. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in olive oil and 1 tsp hot sauce.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and brush with remaining 2 tsp hot sauce. Cut grilled celery diagonally into 1-in. pieces. Stir orange segments and grilled celery into onion dressing. Divide salad and chicken thighs among 4 plates. Sprinkle salad with reserved chopped celery stalks and leaves just before serving.