Arctic Char CevicheBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
This recipe is the same one that Inuit chef Sheila Flaherty submitted to season four of MasterChef Canada—earning her a spot in the top 24 competitors.
- 227 g very fresh Arctic char fillet , bones and skin removed
- 1 small jalapeño pepper , minced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp shallots , minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger , minced
- 1 tbsp hazelnut oil , or almond oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Cut Arctic char into small, even cubes.
- Combine jalapeno, lime juice, shallots, ginger, hazelnut and sesame oils, and sea salt in a medium bowl. Add fish. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately, or let it marinate for 15 min to allow lime juice to “cook” the Arctic char.
The lime juice alters the protein in the char in a process similar to cooking; the result is silky, slightly firm fish. This dish is prepared without heat, so use the freshest fish possible. Ask your fishmonger for Arctic char that’s suitable for raw consumption.