Peach, raspberry and amaretto pavlovasBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 35 min
Layers of crispy-chewy sweet meringue, soft whipped cream and juicy summer fruit make these meringues a showstopper.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups 35% cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 tbsp amaretto
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 ripe peaches , cut into thin wedges
- 170-g container raspberries
- small basil leaves , optional
- POSITION oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 250F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- BEAT eggs whites in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, about 2 min. Gradually beat in granulated sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 2 more min. (Test to see if the sugar is fully dissolved by rubbing a little of the meringue between your thumb and index ﬁnger. The meringue should feel smooth, not gritty.) Beat in cornstarch, vinegar and vanilla until combined. Spoon meringue onto prepared sheet in 6 large dollops, dividing evenly. Using the back of a spoon, spread meringue into 4 1/2-in. circles and indent the middles while pushing up the edges so they resemble nests.
- BAKE until tops are crisp and dry, but still white, about 1 hour 15 min. Turn off oven and let them dry in oven for 1 more hour. Leave meringues on baking sheet until completely cool.
- BEAT cream with icing sugar in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 1 to 2 min. Set aside.
- STIR amaretto with brown sugar in a medium bowl until sugar has dissolved. Gently stir in peach wedges and raspberries until just coated.
- TO ASSEMBLE spoon whipped cream onto meringues. Top with peaches and raspberries. Drizzle with any remaining juices. Sprinkle with basil.
How to skin peaches
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 60 g,
- 22 g,
- 3 g,
- 62 mg.