Vegetarian haggis cottage pie
Photo, Roberto Caruso.
A hearty one-dish meal packed with plant-based protein and vegetables. Topped with fluffy mashed potatoes, it's a comforting cold-weather meal for everyone.
, peeled and cubed (about 850g)
1 227-g pkg
, coarsely chopped
, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 540-mL can
, drained and rinsed
- Combine potatoes with enough water to cover in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 10 to 12 min. Drain well and return potatoes to pot.
- Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl. Add onion and carrot to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large oven-safe frying pan over medium-high. Add mushrooms and cook until almost no liquid remains, 6 to 8 min. Add 1 tbsp butter, then onion mixture. Cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 4 min.
- Stir in lentils, oats, 1 1/2 cups water, soy sauce, tomato paste, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until oats are tender and mixture is still saucy, 10 to 12 min. Stir in peas until heated through, about 2 min.
- Position rack in upper third of oven, then preheat broiler. Mash potatoes with remaining 2 tbsp butter and salt until smooth. Spread potato mixture over lentil mixture. Broil until golden brown, 2 to 3 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 66 g,
- 13 g,
- 12 g,
- 824 mg.
- Very high source of
- dietary fibre
Kitchen Tip: The frying pan should measure 10 in. across the top and fit at least 5 cups.