Kitchen tip: Tear large Thai basil leaves into smaller pieces. Italian basil will also work in this recipe.
Thai basil and cilantro saladBy Chatelaine
- 6 mini cucumbers , thinly sliced
- 3 shallots , thinly sliced
- 1 285-g pkg carrots , cut into matchsticks (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups packed small Thai basil leaves , (or coarsely torn)
- 3 cups packed cilantro leaves
- 1 red chili , thinly sliced (optional)
- COMBINE cucumbers, shallots and carrots in a medium bowl.
- BRING vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high, then pour over vegetables. Toss to coat. Set aside, stirring occasionally, for 15 min.
- ADD basil, cilantro and chili to vegetables and toss to coat. Serve with grilled satay tofu skewers.
Chatelaine Quickies: Thai steak salad
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 23 g,
- 3 g,
- 491 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A