Spatchcock roast chicken with grapes
1 h 40 min
- 2 whole chickens , each about 1 kg
- 2 tbsp butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 leaves fresh sage
- 2 heads garlic
- 1 kg red seedless grapes
- Position racks in centre and lower third of oven. Preheat to 375F. Have a large roasting pan and a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment ready. Pat chickens very dry with paper towels. Place one, breast-side down, on a cutting board. Using sharp kitchen shears, cut along both sides of the backbone from end to end and remove. Flip chicken breast-side up, and open like a book. Press firmly on the breastbone with your palm to flatten. Repeat with other chicken.
- Mix butter with salt and freshly ground pepper in a small bowl. Loosen skin of each chicken at neck-cavity end with a finger. Spread 1/2 tsp butter mixture under the skin, reaching in as far as possible. Gently push 2 or 3 sage leaves under skin on each side of breast, keeping leaves flat. Rub skin all over with remaining butter mixture.
- Arrange chickens side by side on roasting pan. Slice heads of garlic in half horizontally. Place between chickens. Using a potato masher, gently mash half of grapes just until the skins burst, and scatter around chickens. Divide remaining grapes into 8 clusters and lay on prepared baking sheet.
- Roast chickens in centre of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165F, about 1 hour. Roast grape clusters in lower third of oven for 30 min. Transfer to a cooling rack. Transfer chickens to a cutting board. Cover with foil to keep warm. Remove garlic from pan. Pour mashed grapes and pan juices into a medium saucepan. Squeeze in garlic. Mash grapes and garlic into sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil, stirring frequently, until sauce is slightly reduced, 5 to 10 min. Skim excess fat from sauce. Cut chicken into 8 portions and serve with grape clusters and sauce.
How to make a perfect roast chicken
Nutrition (per serving)
- 48 g,
- 23 g,
- 31 g,
- 2 g,
- 339 mg.