Make this meal vegetarian by omitting the pork, adding flour to garlic and simmering for 20 min before adding 1/2 tsp salt, peppers and double the quantity of beans.
Spanish pork & beansBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
These bowls are made of 40 percent plant fibre.
- 400 g pork shoulder , cut in 1 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion , coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup apera or sherry
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 398 mL can diced tomatoes
- 1 540 mL can butter beans or cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 340 g jar roasted red peppers , drained and coarsely chopped
- quinoa , (optional)
- parsely , (optional)
- TOSS pork with flour and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl. Season with pepper.
- HEAT a pot over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp oil, then pork. Cook until golden-brown, 3 to 4 min. Transfer to a plate.
- REDUCE heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, then onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 min. Add garlic, paprika and bay leaves. Cook for 30 sec. Add sherry, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pot, until it comes to a boil. Add broth, tomatoes, remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pork. Reduce heat to low and simmer until pork is tender, about 45 min.
- REMOVE bay leaves, then stir in beans and red peppers. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until heated through, about 2 min. Serve over cooked quinoa and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 18 g,
- 27 g,
- 16 g,
- 5 g,
- 836 mg.