Kitchen Tip: Avoid lumpy gravy by sifting flour slowly over the turkey juices while whisking constantly. Don’t sprinkle or pour in the flour.
Roast turkey with cider gravyBy Chatelaine
3 hrs 25 min
8 to 10
- 6 to 7 kg turkey , thawed
- 1/3 cup butter , softened
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt , divided
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 500-mL can hard cider , or 2 cups apple juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- RESERVE neck from turkey for broth. Pat turkey very dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Combine butter with onion and garlic powders, paprika and 1 tsp salt in a small bowl. Rub butter mixture underneath and over skin of turkey, then bend and tuck wing tips under the back. Transfer turkey to a rack set on a baking sheet. Refrigerate, uncovered, up to 12 hr.
- TURKEY broth: Cover reserved neck, chopped onion and bay leaves with 4 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 30 min. Strain and save only the liquid. (Discard solids.) Broth should measure 3 cups.
- REMOVE turkey from refrigerator 1 hr before roasting. Place on a rack set in a large roasting pan, then sprinkle turkey with remaining ½ tsp salt and pepper. Position rack in bottom third of oven, then preheat to 400F.
- COVER turkey and pan tightly with foil. Roast for 1 hr. Reduce heat to 300F. Remove foil and pour cider into pan. Continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 170F, about 1 hr 40 min more.
- TRANSFER turkey to a carving board and tent loosely with foil. Let stand for 30 min. Skim fat from pan juices in roasting pan.
- PLACE roasting pan over 2 stovetop burners on medium (or pour pan juices into a saucepan). When it comes to a boil, sift in flour while whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in 3 cups prepared turkey broth. Simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 15 min. Serve with carved turkey.
Chatelaine Turkey 101: How to carve a turkey
Nutrition (per serving)
- 83 g,
- 6 g,
- 15 g,
- 1 g,
- 575 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B6