Quick chicken parmesanBy Chatelaine
- 4 chicken cutlets , pounded into 1/4-in. thickness
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups breadcrumbs or panko
- 2/3 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil , divided
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup basil leaves , divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- PREHEAT oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with oil.
- SPRINKLE chicken with 1/2 tsp of the salt and pepper. Whisk eggs in a shallow bowl. Stir panko, Parmigiano-Reggiano and 3 tbsp of the oil in a second shallow bowl.
- DIP 1 cutlet in egg, then shake off excess. Coat in panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, then repeat with remaining chicken. Bake 12 min, then flip. Continue baking until tops are crisp, about 8 min.
- HEAT remaining 1 tbsp oil in a small saucepan over medium-low. Add garlic and cook 30 sec. Add tomatoes, half of the basil and remaining 1/2 tsp salt and cook on low, stirring, 5 min.
- DIVIDE half of the tomato sauce over chicken pieces and sprinkle with mozzarella. Continue baking until cheese is melted, 3 min. Serve with remaining sauce and garnish with remaining basil.
Cheese grating tips
Nutrition (per serving)
- 35 g,
- 17 g,
- 23 g,
- 1 g,
- 908 mg.