Prairie steak sandwich
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Andrew Grinton.
We partnered with President's Choice to create amazing dishes that celebrate flavours we love from across Canada.
, cut into 1/4-in. rounds
PC Old Fashioned Style Naturally Smoked Thick Cut Bacon
1 225-g pkg
, (shiitake and oyster)
New York striploin
, cut into rounds
, 11-in.long, halved lengthwise
PC Sliced Medium Cheddar Cheese
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium-high.
- SPRAY a 12-in. square of foil with oil and arrange potatoes in centre. Top with bacon slices. Fold up the edges, pinching corners to create an open box. Top with rosemary.
- BRUSH mushrooms and steaks with oil. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
- OIL grill and grill steaks, potato packet, onion and mushrooms, lid closed. Flip steaks after 4 min, brush with 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce and grill until medium-rare to medium, 3 to 5 more min. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest, covered with foil, for 5 min. Cook potato packet, turning occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender, 4 to 6 min. Cook onion until charred and mushrooms until grill marks form, 8 to 10 min. Transfer to a cutting board as they are done.
- GRILL buns, cut-side down, beside veggies until toasted, about 2 min. Top each bottom bun with 4 slices of cheese and continue grilling until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 min.
- SLICE steak and mushrooms. Stir remaining 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce and mayo in a bowl. Lay steak over cheese and drizzle with half of mayo mixture. Top with bacon, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and watercress. Drizzle with remaining sauce and sandwich. Cut each sandwich in half.
Chatelaine Quickies: Thai steak salad