Prairie steak sandwichBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6
We partnered with President's Choice to create amazing dishes that celebrate flavours we love from across Canada.
- 1 Yukon gold potato , cut into 1/4-in. rounds
- 4 slices PC Old Fashioned Style Naturally Smoked Thick Cut Bacon
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 225-g pkg mixed mushrooms , (shiitake and oyster)
- 2 New York striploin steaks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 small red onion , cut into rounds
- 2 demi-baguettes , 11-in.long, halved lengthwise
- 8 PC Sliced Medium Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup PC Mayonnaise
- 3 cups watercress
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium-high.
- SPRAY a 12-in. square of foil with oil and arrange potatoes in centre. Top with bacon slices. Fold up the edges, pinching corners to create an open box. Top with rosemary.
- BRUSH mushrooms and steaks with oil. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper.
- OIL grill and grill steaks, potato packet, onion and mushrooms, lid closed. Flip steaks after 4 min, brush with 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce and grill until medium-rare to medium, 3 to 5 more min. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest, covered with foil, for 5 min. Cook potato packet, turning occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender, 4 to 6 min. Cook onion until charred and mushrooms until grill marks form, 8 to 10 min. Transfer to a cutting board as they are done.
- GRILL buns, cut-side down, beside veggies until toasted, about 2 min. Top each bottom bun with 4 slices of cheese and continue grilling until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 min.
- SLICE steak and mushrooms. Stir remaining 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce and mayo in a bowl. Lay steak over cheese and drizzle with half of mayo mixture. Top with bacon, potatoes, onions, mushrooms and watercress. Drizzle with remaining sauce and sandwich. Cut each sandwich in half.