Pan-fried mackerel with potato-watercress saladBy Chatelaine
- 680 g new potatoes , halved
- 3 slices bacon , chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot , minced
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 3/4 tsp pepper , divided
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 small mackerel fillets , (about 400 g), patted dry
- 2 cups watercress
- 3 tbsp coarsely chopped parsley
- PLACE potatoes in a medium pot filled with cold, salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, 10 to 12 min. Drain.
- COOK bacon in a large cast iron frying pan over medium until crispy, 7 to 8 min.
- WHISK vinegar, shallot, Dijon and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk in bacon and any drippings, then stir in potatoes.
- WIPE frying pan clean, then heat oil over medium. Sprinkle both sides of mackerel with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper. When pan is very hot, add fish, skin-side down. Press down with a spatula so skin contacts pan. Cook until skin is crispy, about 5 min. Flip and cook until flesh flakes easily, about 1 more min.
- STIR watercress and parsley into potatoes. Serve alongside mackerel.
Chatelaine Quickies: Provencal pan salmon
Nutrition (per serving)
- 24 g,
- 30 g,
- 26 g,
- 3 g,
- 704 mg.