Moroccan chicken tagineBy Chatelaine
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs , about 1 kg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper , cut in 1/4-in. strips
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth , divided
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small lemon , thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 8 green olives , pitted and halved (optional)
- 1/2 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup Israeli or pearl couscous
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds , toasted
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then half the chicken. Cook until golden-brown, 2 to 3 min per side. Transfer
to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium, then add onion and bell pepper, and cook until softened, about 3 min. Stir in ginger, garlic, cinnamon, coriander and turmeric. Cook until fragrant, about 1 min.
- Stir in 1 cup broth and honey. Return chicken and any juices to pan and top with lemon slices and olives. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 min. Stir in cream and return to a simmer.
- Combine remaining 11⁄4 cups broth with raisins and a pinch of turmeric in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then stir in couscous. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until just tender, 7 to 8 min. Remove from heat, then stir in almonds. Divide couscous among bowls, then top with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 50 g,
- 61 g,
- 32 g,
- 6 g,
- 1006 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin c