Mashed potatoes and gravyBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
You don't need a roast to make gravy?! That's right, all you need are a handful of ingredients to whip together a nice sauce. (And it goes perfectly with these fluffy mashed potatoes.)
- 1.5 kg Yukon Gold potatoes , peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups 18% cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
No Roast Gravy
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- BOIL potatoes in a large pot of water until very tender, 15 to 20 min. Drain potatoes, then press through a ricer back into pot. Stir in cream, butter and salt until potatoes are warmed through. Season with fresh pepper.
To Make Gravy:
- COMBINE broth with sherry and onion and garlic powders in a measuring cup.
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Sprinkle with flour. Whisk constantly until mixture turns thick, 1 to 2 min. Reduce heat to low. Gradually whisk in broth mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time, until smooth. Boil, then remove from heat. Serve with mashed potatoes.