Updated Mar 10, 2017Chatelaine
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap each tightly in foil. Barbecue potatoes, lid closed, rotating every 15 min, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 min. Set aside to cool slightly.
- LAY bacon on grill. Barbecue until crisp and golden, 3 to 4 min per side. (Bacon may flare up, so you may need to flip a few times.) Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- TO serve, unwrap and cut an X diagonally along the top of each potato. Pinch ends until the flesh pops out slightly. Mash the flesh lightly with a fork. Top each with 1 tbsp sour cream. Drizzle with maple syrup. Crumble bacon overtop.
- OVEN directions: Prick sweet potatoes and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake in centre of 425F oven until tender, 45 to 55 min. Pan-fry bacon over
medium-high until crisp, 7 to 8 min. Crumble over potatoes, top with sour cream and drizzle
with maple syrup.
- Camp prep tip: Wrap washed, pricked sweet potatoes in foil individually. Pack in a resealable bag. Store bacon, sour cream and maple syrup in a cooler until ready to use.
NutritionCalories 315, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrates 59 g, Fat 5 g, Fibre 8 g, Sodium 263 mg. Excellent source of vitamin B6
Summer recipes: sides, salads and coleslaws