Maple bacon sweet potatoes
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Erik Putz.
Baked potatoes are a staple of camping trips. Shake up your usual recipe with this version that's a perfect balance of sweet and salty.
, scrubbed clean
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap each tightly in foil. Barbecue potatoes, lid closed, rotating every 15 min, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 min. Set aside to cool slightly.
- LAY bacon on grill. Barbecue until crisp and golden, 3 to 4 min per side. (Bacon may flare up, so you may need to flip a few times.) Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- TO serve, unwrap and cut an X diagonally along the top of each potato. Pinch ends until the flesh pops out slightly. Mash the flesh lightly with a fork. Top each with 1 tbsp sour cream. Drizzle with maple syrup. Crumble bacon overtop.
- OVEN directions: Prick sweet potatoes and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake in centre of 425F oven until tender, 45 to 55 min. Pan-fry bacon over
medium-high until crisp, 7 to 8 min. Crumble over potatoes, top with sour cream and drizzle
with maple syrup.
- Camp prep tip: Wrap washed, pricked sweet potatoes in foil individually. Pack in a resealable bag. Store bacon, sour cream and maple syrup in a cooler until ready to use.
Summer recipes: sides, salads and coleslaws
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 59 g,
- 5 g,
- 8 g,
- 263 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B6