Kitchen Tip: Ssam means “wrap” in Korean. We like using perilla leaves or tender baby red-leaf lettuce for our wraps.
Korean Ssam bar barbecued kalbi beefBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 kg Korean beef ribs , (L.A.-style)
- 5 large garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 Asian pear , peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup sake or rice wine
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2 bunches green onions
- 2 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- COVER ribs with ice-cold water in a large bowl; let sit for 1 hr. Drain and pat dry, then transfer to a shallow pan or resealable bag.
- WHIRL garlic, onion, soy, water, pear, rice wine, sugar, honey, oil, ginger and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Pour over ribs and massage marinade into ribs with fingertips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hr or up to 24 hr, flipping ribs occasionally
for even marination.
- REMOVE ribs from refrigerator 20 min before grilling. Preheat barbecue to medium-high. Remove ribs from marinade and reserve the marinade. Oil grill, then cook ribs, brushing once
with marinade, lid closed, until grill marks form, 4 to 5 min per side. Add green onions to grill 1 min before taking ribs off.
- TRANSFER to a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Using kitchen scissors, snip between bones and cut into small pieces. Serve with grilled onions, perilla leaves and Ssamjang dipping sauce.
Chatelaine Quickies: Gourmet corn on the cob
[bc_video video_id=”5042204711001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”r1zRQqV3″]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 44 g,
- 8 g,
- 37 g,
- 1 g,
- 422 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B6