Korean fried chicken wingsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 h 10 min
8 to 10
Put some oil on the stovetop: our Korean fried chicken wings recipe will be a hit. (You might want to make a double batch just so you have leftovers!)
- 1.5 kg chicken wings , and drumettes, separated with tips intact
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- scant 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp gochugaru , (Korean hot pepper flakes)
- 2 eggs , whisked
- oil , for deep-frying
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup gochujang paste
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- PLACE chicken pieces in an extra-large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Refrigerate for 30 min.
- SAUCE: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 sec. Stir in ketchup, corn syrup, gochujang and vinegar. Cook until bubbly. Remove from heat.
- POUR enough oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot, preferably a dutch oven, to reach 1 1/2 in. up the sides. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to side of pot and heat over medium to reach 350F. .
- WHISK flour, potato starch, rice flour, baking soda and gochukaru in a bowl. Sprinkle flour mixture over chicken and rub mixture chicken into all crevices.
- WHISK eggs and water in a bowl and pour over chicken. Toss immediately with 2 large spoons, stirring and tossing until all flour mixture is absorbed into chicken (you want to see craggly bits). Transfer to a baking sheet and separate pieces.
- PREHEAT oven to 250F. Place a baking sheet on centre rack. Add chicken to oil-filled pot, 8 to 10 pieces at a time. Fry, turning, until golden and crispy, about 4 min. Drain on a rack placed over a baking tray. Fry again until dark brown and very crispy, 5 to 7 min. Transfer chicken to rack and sprinkle with salt. Place on baking sheet in oven to keep warm.
- DRIZZLE some of the hot gochujang sauce on chicken, in batches, in a large bowl and toss lightly to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and repeat with remaining chicken and sauce.