Korean braised short ribsBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 55 min
What is braising? A classic method of cooking less-tender cuts of meat and vegetables, braising starts with a pan-sear so the food gains colour and flavour. It’s then cooked gently, covered, in barely bubbling liquid until exceedingly tender.
- 12 to 15 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1.5 kg Korean-style beef short ribs , 2-in. thick and cut between bones
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 8 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 onion , quartered
- 1-in. piece ginger , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili flakes
- 900-ml sodium reduced beef broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large carrot , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 daikon radish , peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions , sliced
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- COVER shiitakes with 1 cup boiling water in a small bowl. Soak until softened. Cut off and discard stems.
- PAT ribs dry with paper towels. Lightly coat with flour. Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add oil, then ribs. You may have to do this in batches. Brown ribs, 2 to
3 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
- REDUCE heat to medium. Add garlic, onion, ginger and chili flakes. Cook for 30 sec. Add broth, soy and sugar. Scrape up and stir in any brown bits in pot bottom. Return ribs and any juices to pot. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- CUT mushrooms in half. Stir carrot and mushrooms into pot. Continue simmering, covered, until the meat and vegetables are very tender, 40 min. Add radish during the last 30 min of cooking.
- DRIZZLE with sesame oil and stir well. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish. Boil sauce until reduced by half, about 10 min. Pour sauce over meat. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
The easiest way to peel ginger
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26 g,
- 19 g,
- 28 g,
- 3 g,
- 857 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A