Updated Jan 25, 2016Chatelaine
12 to 15
dried shiitake mushrooms
Korean-style beef short ribs, 2-in. thick and cut between bones
garlic cloves, crushed
ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
sodium reduced beef broth
large carrot, peeled and cut into large chunks
daikon radish, peeled and cut into large chunks
green onions, sliced
toasted sesame seeds
- COVER shiitakes with 1 cup boiling water in a small bowl. Soak until softened. Cut off and discard stems.
- PAT ribs dry with paper towels. Lightly coat with flour. Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add oil, then ribs. You may have to do this in batches. Brown ribs, 2 to
3 min per side. Transfer to a plate.
- REDUCE heat to medium. Add garlic, onion, ginger and chili flakes. Cook for 30 sec. Add broth, soy and sugar. Scrape up and stir in any brown bits in pot bottom. Return ribs and any juices to pot. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- CUT mushrooms in half. Stir carrot and mushrooms into pot. Continue simmering, covered, until the meat and vegetables are very tender, 40 min. Add radish during the last 30 min of cooking.
- DRIZZLE with sesame oil and stir well. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish. Boil sauce until reduced by half, about 10 min. Pour sauce over meat. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
NutritionCalories 419, Protein 26 g, Carbohydrates 19 g, Fat 28 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 857 mg. Excellent source of vitamin A
The easiest way to peel ginger