French onion macaroni and cheeseBy Chatelaine
We didn't know we could love macaroni and cheese any more than we already do. Then we tasted this recipe.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 medium onions , thinly sliced, about 3 1/2 cups
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves , divided
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 cups elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese , divided
- 3/4 cup mascarpone
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- POSITION oven rack in top third of oven. Preheat broiler.
- MELT butter in a medium (10-in.) oven-safe frying pan over medium-high. Add onion and 1 tbsp thyme. Stir occasionally, until onions are golden brown, 8 to 10 min. Pour in broth, water and sherry. Stir in pasta. Boil, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 10 to 12 min. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup gruyère, mascarpone and Dijon until combined. Stir remaining 1 cup gruyère with panko and sprinkle over pasta.
- BROIL in top third of oven until cheese melts, 1 to 2 min. Sprinkle remaining 1 tbsp thyme over pasta.
Chatelaine Quickies: French onion macaroni and cheese
Nutrition (per serving)
- 33 g,
- 63 g,
- 38 g,
- 4 g,
- 658 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12