Creamy Plant-Based Alfredo PastaBy Chatelaine
This plant-based pasta alfredo gets its creaminess from a combination of pureed celeriac and almond milk. You can also substitute with cauliflower.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups celeriac , cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk , or oat milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp unsalted cashew butter
- 4 cups cavatappi pasta
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley , optional
- HEAT oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add celeriac, and onion and garlic powders. Cook, stirring often, 2 min. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Boil, uncovered, until most of the water has been absorbed and celeriac is very tender, 15 to 18 min. (Add more water, 1⁄4 cup at a time, if celeriac is not yet tender.)
- TRANSFER mixture to a blender. Add almond milk, nutritional yeast, miso and cashew butter. Blend until very smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- COOK pasta in a large pot of water, following package directions until tender, about 8 min. Drain.
- RETURN pasta to pot and add sauce, stirring until coated and warmed through, 1 min. Divide among bowls. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and more nutritional yeast, if desired.
- If unavailable, you can substitute celeriac with 200 g thawed frozen cauliflower. Decrease water to 3/4 cup and boil until cauliflower is very tender and no water remains, 6 to 7 min. Continue with recipe.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 76 g,
- 5 g,
- 5 g,
- 583 mg.