2 1/2 cups
cold lard, cubed
cold unsalted butter, cubed
slices bacon, chopped
garlic cloves, minced
large onion, finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
dried leaves of summer savoury
1 1/2 tsp
medium ground beef
medium ground pork
peeled, grated russet potato
no-salt beef broth
egg yolk, mixed with 1 tsp water, for egg wash
- PASTRY: Whirl flour and salt in a food processor until combined. Add lard and pulse 12 times until fine. Add butter and, while pulsing 7 or 8 times, quickly add ice water through the feed tube until dough just comes together. Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten into discs and refrigerate until firm, 1 hr.
- FILLING: Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add bacon, garlic, onion and spices and cook for 5 min. Add beef, pork, potato and broth. Use a potato masher to mash meat until crumbly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until liquid is almost absorbed, about 15 min. Add parsley and maple syrup and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 5 min. Spread filling out on a large baking sheet set over a rack to cool completely, 30 min.
- POSITION rack in bottom of oven, then preheat to 400F.
- ROLL 1 dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant 1/4-in. thickness. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate, letting excess hang over edge. Refrigerate for 20 min. Roll remaining dough to ¼-in. thickness, then refrigerate.
- ADD filling to pie and smooth top. Place dough over filling. Trim both doughs to 1/2 in. beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top edge underneath and crimp. Brush with egg wash, then cut 2-in. vents in the pastry using a paring knife. Bake on a baking sheet on bottom rack of oven until pastry is golden brown and filling is hot, 50 to 60 min. Cover with foil during the last 10 to 15 min, if browning too quickly. Let stand for 20 min before serving.
Kitchen Tip: Make pie a day ahead. Let cool and refrigerate overnight. Cover with foil and reheat at 375F until warmed through, 30 min.
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 41 g
Fibre 2 g
Sodium 867 mg
Excellent source of Vitamin B12
How to dice an onion