A cream of broccoli soup without the cream? That’s right! This soup still has an ultra-creamy texture, but leads with a healthier ingredient list.
Cream of broccoli soup with cheddar (and no cream!)By Chatelaine
Celebrate warm food and sweater weather with a hearty colourful bowl — it's pure comfort on a wintry day.
- 1 bunch broccoli
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 900 mL no-salt vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded old cheddar , plus more for garnish (optional)
- cayenne , (optional)
- TRIM and finely chop broccoli, keeping stems and florets separate (6 cups).
- MELT butter in a large pot over medium. Add onion and broccoli stems. Cook, stirring occasionally, until stems begin to soften, about 7 min. Add garlic, salt and pepper and stir until fragrant, 2 min. Add flour and cook for 1 min.
- GRADUALLY stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until stems are fork-tender, about 4 min, then add florets and simmer until tender, about 4 more min. Remove from heat.
- PURÉE soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Return pot to heat, reduced to low, and stir in cheddar. Ladle cream of broccoli soup into bowls and top with additional cheese and cayenne.
Chatelaine Quickies: Easy veggie soup
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 14 g,
- 12 g,
- 2 g,
- 654 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin C