Kitchen Tip: Keep napa cabbage stems for soups and stir-fries.
Cabbage roll casseroleBy Chatelaine
Cabbage rolls are highly underrated, so we put together a simple (and delicious) version for people to add to their dinner rotation. Tender leaves are layered in between a hearty rice and sausage filling, and simmered in a fresh sauce so all the flavours can meld together.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 250 g Italian sausages , casings removed
- 2 cups Marinara sauce , preferably herbed
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 carrot , grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded basil , divided
- 10 leaves napa cabbage , white stems trimmed off
- Heat a large deep 10-in. non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then sausage. Cook, stirring often, until crumbly and browned, about 4 min.
- Stir in marinara sauce, water and rice, and reduce heat to medium. Bring to a boil, then boil gently until sauce thickens slightly, about 10 min. Stir in carrot and 1/4 cup basil. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Spread a heaping cup of the sausage mixture on bottom of same frying pan. Cover with 2 to 3 cabbage leaves, cutting to fit pan. Layer with another heaping cup of sausage mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cabbage leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low to maintain simmering liquid. Cover and simmer until rice and cabbage are cooked through, occasionally pressing cabbage down in sauce with a spoon, about 15 min. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup basil. Let stand 5 min before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 13 g,
- 33 g,
- 14 g,
- 4 g,
- 962 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A