Updated Apr 3, 2018Chatelaine
- LINE a small baking sheet or pan (one that will fit inside your freezer) with parchment paper.
- BEAT the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer until combined but not too creamy—you are not aiming for light and fluffy here, as that would make the cookies too cakey. Add the vanilla and the egg yolks and mix well.
- IN another bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk together well. Add this to the butter and egg mixture along with the chocolate, and mix until combined.
- SCOOP individual portions of cookie dough onto the lined baking sheet or pan. If using spoons, pat each portion into a little ball. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1 hour, or up to a month. If you are pushed for time, or simply impatient, you can bake them right away, but the cookies will be slightly flatter and less even than the ones here.
- WHEN ready to bake, preheat your oven to 180°C/355°F (160°C/320°F convection). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the cookies evenly on the pan, leaving enough space between each one so they have room to expand during baking (when they will almost double in size). If you are baking from frozen, allow the cookies 5 to 10 minutes out of the freezer before placing in the oven.
- BAKE for 18 minutes, until the centre of each cookie is slightly soft and underbaked, but the edges are crispy and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before serving. These cookies will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Kitchen Tip: At Violet, we use an ice cream scoop to portion the cookies perfectly, but at home you can use two dessert spoons.
Excerpted from The Violet Bakery Cookbook by Claire Ptak. Copyright © 2015 by Claire Ptak. Photographs copyright © 2015 by Kristin Perers. Published in the United States by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC, New York. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Chatelaine Quickies: Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream