And did we mention that it’s chocolatey too? A healthy and delicious cupcake that’s packed with superfoods raspberry and beet.
Velvety beet cupcakes with raspberry icing
- 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder , preferably Fry's
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 398-mL can beets , rinsed, drained, patted dry
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 250-g block light cream cheese , cubed
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- MEASURE out raspberries and leave on counter. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cups or spray with oil. Stir flour with cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Puree beets in a blender or food processor. Beat sugar with oil in a medium-sized bowl, using an electric mixer, until combined, 2 min. Beat in egg, then beets and vanilla. Gradually beat in one-third of flour mixture just until blended, then half of buttermilk. Repeat additions, ending with flour mixture. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted in cupcakes comes out clean, 20 to 25 min. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 min, then remove cakes to a rack to cool completely before icing.
- PUSH raspberries through a sieve into a bowl, using the bottom of a ladle. Discard seeds. Stir in cream cheese and icing sugar until evenly mixed. Spread over cooled cupcakes.
How to make perfectly shaped cupcakes
[brightcove id=’4639663507001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 31 g,
- 7 g,
- 208 mg.