Pretty In Pink Strawberry PavlovaBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 30 min
We use a double dose of strawberries in this impressive dessert. Freeze-dried berries give the meringue its blush-pink hue, while fresh berries add aromatic sweetness. Every batch of fresh strawberries is different so adjust the amounts of sugar and lemon juice as needed in Step 5.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar , (288 g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 11 g pkgs freeze-dried strawberries , crushed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 454 g pkg strawberries , hulled and sliced or quartered
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar , or superfine (24 g)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup 35% cream , chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pavlova: Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 300F. Draw an 8-inch circle on a piece of parchment, then flip it over onto a large baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites, 1 tbsp lemon juice and salt in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium; beat until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 min. Gradually beat in 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, adding 1 tbsp at a time, waiting a few seconds between each addition. Once all sugar is added, increase speed to medium-high and beat until stiff and glossy peaks form when beaters are lifted, 3 to 5 min more. Beat in corn- starch and 2 tsp vanilla. Gently fold in freeze-dried strawberries until just a few streaks remain.
- Dab a small amount of meringue under each corner of parchment, then secure each corner onto a baking sheet. Dollop meringue mixture onto parchment paper using the circle as a guide. Using the back of a spoon, gently smooth surface of the mound (mound should be about 3-inch tall). Create swoops on sides of the mound with upward motions using spoon. Create an indent in the centre, about 1-inch deep.
- Transfer pavlova to oven, then immediately reduce to 200F. Bake for 2 hr, then turn oven off. Leave pavlova inside oven for 4 hr, then transfer to a rack to cool completely, 1 hr. Gently slide an offset spatula under pavlova to loosen it, then carefully slide it onto a serving platter. (The baked pavlova can be left in the turned-off and closed oven overnight, or in an airtight container without garnishing it up to 1 day ahead.)
- Assembly: Combine fresh strawberries, 2 tbsp sugar and 1⁄2 tbsp lemon juice in a medium bowl. Stir to coat, then set aside until sugar dissolves, 10 min.
- Beat cream and 1 tsp vanilla in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium-high, until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 min. Scoop over cooled pavlova. Top with strawberries and any leftover syrupy juice.
Avoid making pavlova on a humid day or while you have anything steamy going on in the kitchen, like running the dishwasher: Excess moisture can affect a meringue’s texture and cause it to get soggy or collapse.
Every batch of fresh strawberries is different so adjust the amounts of sugar and lemon juice as needed in Step 5.