Strawberry-Chocolate CakeBy Chatelaine
1 h 55 min
Strawberries and chocolate are a match made in heaven, so why not marry the flavours in this decadent, delicious cake?
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour , (210 g)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar , (288 g)
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder , (53 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar , sifted (400 g)
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pink liquid food colouring , (optional)
- Sliced strawberries , (optional)
- Freeze-dried strawberries , crumbled (optional)
- Mint leaves , (optional)
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F. Line a 9×13 in. baking pan with overhanging parchment on long sides.
- Cake: Whisk flour with sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs with buttermilk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Whisk in hot water. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 30 min. Let cake cool in pan for 30 min, then transfer to a rack and cool completely, about 30 min.
- Icing: Beat butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy, 30 sec. Gradually beat in icing sugar on low, scraping bottom and side of bowl as needed. Beat in jam and vanilla until combined. Beat in food colouring until you reach the desired colour.
- Place cake on a platter. Spread icing over top only, leaving a thin border at edge.
- Garnish: Decorate top of cake with sliced strawberries, freeze-dried strawberries and mint leaves.
Unlike dried strawberries, freeze-dried strawberries have all their moisture removed, giving them a dry, crisp texture.