Updated Jan 18, 2018Chatelaine
1 1/4 cups
Armagnac or cognac
unsweetened cocoa powder
buttermilk or plain yogurt
light brown sugar
dark chocolate, chopped
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Butter or oil an 8 × 8-in. baking dish. Line bottom and sides of dish with overhanging parchment.
- HEAT 1/2 cup prunes with 1/3 cup Armagnac in a small saucepan over medium until warm, 2 to 3 min. Remove from heat.
- SIFT flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- WHIRL remaining 3/4 cup prunes with buttermilk and oil in a food processor until it turns into a light and shiny paste. Scrape into a large bowl. Whisk in egg, sugars and molasses. Fold in flour mixture until no streaks remain. Fold in chopped chocolate. Scrape mixture into prepared dish. Smooth top. Cut each soaked prune in half and use fingers to press pieces below the surface of the batter. Reserve remaining liquid.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 min.
- COMBINE water with 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium. Stir until sugar has dissolved, 2 to 3 min. Cool for 10 min, then stir in 2 tbsp Armagnac and remaining liquid from prunes.
- REMOVE cake from oven. Poke several holes in cake with a skewer. Pour syrup evenly over cake. Let cool completely on a rack, 1 hour.