Ottolenghi's sticky chocolate loafBy Chatelaine
1 h 20 min
Their latest North American release, Ottolenghi, shares signature fare from Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's London restaurants. Yotam is visiting our kitchen this month to give us the first taste of his new set of unforgettable dishes — and here's one of three delicious recipes he shared!
- 1 1/4 cups pitted prunes
- 1/3 cup Armagnac or cognac
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 cup dark chocolate , chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Armagnac or cognac
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Butter or oil an 8 × 8-in. baking dish. Line bottom and sides of dish with overhanging parchment.
- HEAT 1/2 cup prunes with 1/3 cup Armagnac in a small saucepan over medium until warm, 2 to 3 min. Remove from heat.
- SIFT flour with cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- WHIRL remaining 3/4 cup prunes with buttermilk and oil in a food processor until it turns into a light and shiny paste. Scrape into a large bowl. Whisk in egg, sugars and molasses. Fold in flour mixture until no streaks remain. Fold in chopped chocolate. Scrape mixture into prepared dish. Smooth top. Cut each soaked prune in half and use fingers to press pieces below the surface of the batter. Reserve remaining liquid.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 min.
- COMBINE water with 1/3 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium. Stir until sugar has dissolved, 2 to 3 min. Cool for 10 min, then stir in 2 tbsp Armagnac and remaining liquid from prunes.
- REMOVE cake from oven. Poke several holes in cake with a skewer. Pour syrup evenly over cake. Let cool completely on a rack, 1 hour.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 83 g,
- 22 g,
- 6 g,
- 211 mg.
- Excellent source of