Updated May 8, 2018Chatelaine
unsalted butter, softened
strawberry jam, divided
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray the bottom of a 9-in. round baking pan with oil. Line bottom with parchment. Coat bottom and sides with 1 tbsp butter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar evenly over bottom. Cut rhubarb stalks to fit snugly inside the pan and arrange in rows, concave-side down. Brush 2 tbsp jam onto rhubarb.
- WHISK flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 min. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
- BEAT in flour mixture on low in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, until just combined. Spread over rhubarb, smoothing top.
- BAKE until cake is browned and a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, 40 to 45 min, covering with foil if browning too quickly. Let stand 30 min. Run a knife around edge of pan. Place a large platter over top and carefully invert. Discard parchment. Microwave remaining 2 tbsp jam until warm, then brush over the top. Serve warm.
Editor’s Note: We’ve updated this recipe! If you came to this page looking for the 2006 version, please email email@example.com.
NutritionCalories 305, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 40 g, Fat 14 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 261 mg. Good source of folate
Make this gorgeous rhubarb pie