Editor’s Note: We’ve updated this recipe! If you came to this page looking for the 2006 version, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rhubarb upside-down cake
1 h 35 min
A slice of pie is a classic ending to a summery meal, but why hide fresh fruit under piles of pastry? Turn dessert upside down so ruby rhubarb crowns an easy butter cake instead.
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter , softened
- 300g fresh rhubarb
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam , divided
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Spray the bottom of a 9-in. round baking pan with oil. Line bottom with parchment. Coat bottom and sides with 1 tbsp butter. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar evenly over bottom. Cut rhubarb stalks to fit snugly inside the pan and arrange in rows, concave-side down. Brush 2 tbsp jam onto rhubarb.
- WHISK flour, ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 min. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
- BEAT in flour mixture on low in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, until just combined. Spread over rhubarb, smoothing top.
- BAKE until cake is browned and a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, 40 to 45 min, covering with foil if browning too quickly. Let stand 30 min. Run a knife around edge of pan. Place a large platter over top and carefully invert. Discard parchment. Microwave remaining 2 tbsp jam until warm, then brush over the top. Serve warm.
Make this gorgeous rhubarb pie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 40 g,
- 14 g,
- 2 g,
- 261 mg.
- Good source of