Mini Hot Cross Buns
* PLUS Cooling time
Mini hot cross buns. Photo, Roberto Caruso.
Mini hot cross buns are perfect for Easter. When made this way, they're just like monkey bread!
, (2 1/4 tsp)
, room temperature
- Buns: Whisk 1 cup flour with sugar, yeast and cinnamon in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Beat in 2/3 cup warm water, milk, butter, egg and salt on medium until blended.
- Beat in remaining 2 cups flour, currants and orange zest until dough is smooth and pulls cleanly away from bottom and side of bowl, 3 to 4 min. Transfer to a lightly oiled owl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hr.
- Spray three 9-in. foil pie plates with oil. Turn dough out onto a counter (no need to flour). Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 1-in.-wide log, then cut into fifteen 1-in. pieces. Shape into balls and divide among prepared pans. (There should be about 20 balls per pan.)
- Cover loosely with same plastic wrap and set aside until dough doubles in size, about 1 hr more.
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 375F.
- Crosses: Whisk egg with 2 tsp water in a small bowl. Generously brush over dough balls. Whisk flour with 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp water to make paste for crosses. Spoon into a small resealable zip-top bag. Snip a small piece off one corner of bag, then pipe a cross on each bun.
- Bake until buns are deep golden, about 15 min. Remove from oven. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition (per piece)
- 1 g,
- 7 g,
- 1 g,
- 41 mg.
Kitchen Tip: Let dough rise in a large measuring jug. Its measurements will help you determine when the dough has doubled in size.