Classic gingerbread cookieBy Chatelaine
1 h 30 min
Make giving extra special with these beautiful, edible tree ornaments.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fancy molasses
- STIR flour with ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- BEAT butter with brown sugar in a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, for 2 min. Beat in egg and molasses. Scrape molasses mixture into flour mixture. Beat, on low speed, until all flour is incorporated and dough is no longer sticky but still soft. Divide dough into 4 portions. Form into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 min or up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Roll out 1 disc of dough on a floured surface to 1/4 in. thick. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Use a straw to cut out a hole in the top of each cookie. Transfer to prepared sheets.
- BAKE in centre of oven until deep brown around edges and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 min. (Larger cutouts may require more baking time.) Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. Cool sheets slightly before the next batch. Decorate with Royal Icing, or as desired.
Chatelaine Cookies: Gingerbread cookies
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 12 g,
- 4 g,
- 42 mg.