Updated Jan 23, 2017Chatelaine
2 3/4 cups
1 1/3 cups
coarse demerara sugar
cardamom or cinnamon
pinch of salt
shelled, salted pistachios
roasted peeled hazelnuts
chopped mixed candied peel or orange peel
- LINE an 8 × 4-in. loaf pan with 2 large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap. Stir flour and baking soda in a bowl.
- COMBINE sugar, butter, cardamom, water and salt in a medium pot over medium. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 5 min. Remove from heat.
- STIR pistachios, hazelnuts, cranberries and candied peel into sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- SCRAPE into prepared pan. Fold plastic wrap over, pressing to flatten top. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- REMOVE dough from pan. Cut in half crosswise. Rewrap half and refrigerate. Cut remaining half of dough into scant ¼-in.-thick slices and arrange ½ in. apart on prepared sheets.
- BAKE until golden, about 15 min. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer to a rack to cool . Cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
NutritionCalories 99, Protein 2 g, Carbohydrates 15 g, Fat 4 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 37 mg.
Chatelaine Quickies: Chocolate-pretzel granola bars