Fruit and nut thinsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
2 hrs 45 min
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups coarse demerara sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp cardamom or cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shelled, salted pistachios
- 1/2 cup roasted peeled hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied peel or orange peel
- LINE an 8 × 4-in. loaf pan with 2 large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap. Stir flour and baking soda in a bowl.
- COMBINE sugar, butter, cardamom, water and salt in a medium pot over medium. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 5 min. Remove from heat.
- STIR pistachios, hazelnuts, cranberries and candied peel into sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- SCRAPE into prepared pan. Fold plastic wrap over, pressing to flatten top. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- REMOVE dough from pan. Cut in half crosswise. Rewrap half and refrigerate. Cut remaining half of dough into scant ¼-in.-thick slices and arrange ½ in. apart on prepared sheets.
- BAKE until golden, about 15 min. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer to a rack to cool . Cookies will keep well in a covered container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Chatelaine Quickies: Chocolate-pretzel granola bars
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 2 g,
- 15 g,
- 4 g,
- 1 g,
- 37 mg.