Shopping tip: No need to splurge on Medjool dates for this recipe. We also tested it with packages cooking dates, and the squares were just as delicious!
Old-Fashioned Date SquaresBy Chatelaine
1 h 5 min
Delicious date squares are a simple blend of brown sugar, oats, butter and sweet dates — a comforting treat for a cozy winter afternoon. If there's a baked-goods equivalent to a hug, this is it.
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups large-flake oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly spray an 8-in. square glass or metal baking pan with oil and line with overhanging parchment.
- COMBINE dates with water in a medium saucepan over high. Boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until thick, 6 to 8 min. Remove from heat.
- STIR in vanilla and let cool.
- COMBINE oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a food processor. Pulse 3 times to combine. Add butter and pulse until oat mixture is crumbly (pea-sized). Transfer to a large bowl and quickly crumble with fingers to evenly distribute the butter. Spread two-thirds of oat mixture over bottom of prepared pan. Press down gently to make a crust. Scrape date mixture over crust and spread evenly. Layer with remaining oat mixture and press down lightly.
- BAKE in centre of oven until top is golden brown, 30 to 35 min. Transfer to a rack and cool completely in pan, about 1 hour. Cut into 16 squares.
How to make breakfast power bars (secret ingredient: dates!)
Nutrition (per square)
- 2 g,
- 30 g,
- 8 g,
- 2 g,
- 55 mg.