Dec 12, 2017Amy Grief
For the filling
- Make the Toasted Hazelnut Crust: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease a 9-inch (23-cm) pie dish with coconut.
- In a food processor, process the hazelnuts into a fine crumb with the texture of Add the oil, maple syrup, salt, and oat flour and process again until the dough comes together. Finally, add the rolled oats and pulse until the oats are chopped but still have some texture to them. The dough should stick together slightly when pressed between your fingers, but it shouldn’t be super-sticky either. If it’s too dry, try adding 1 teaspoon (5 mL) water or processing a bit longer.
- With your fingers, crumble the dough evenly over the base of the pie Starting from the middle, press the mixture firmly and evenly into the dish, moving outward and upward along the side of the pie dish. The harder you press the crumbs into the dish, the better the crust will hold together. Poke a few fork holes into the bottom to let steam escape.
- Bake the crust, uncovered, for 10 to 13 minutes, until lightly Remove from the oven and set aside to cool on a rack for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Make the Filling: Drain and rinse the In a high-speed blender, combine the soaked cashews, agave, oil, cocoa powder, melted chocolate, vanilla, salt, and espresso powder (if using) and blend on high until the filling is completely smooth. It can take a few minutes of blending to get it smooth, depending on your blender. If the blender needs more liquid to get it going, add a tablespoon (15 mL) of almond milk (or a bit more) to help it along.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust, scooping every last bit out of the Smooth out the top evenly. Garnish with shaved chocolate and/or coconut flakes, if desired.
- Place the pie dish on an even surface in the freezer, Freeze for a couple of hours, and then cover the dish with foil and freeze overnight, or for a minimum of 4 to 6 hours, until the pie sets.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes before slicing.
Excerpted from The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out by Angela Liddon. Copyright © 2014 Glo Bakery Corporation. Published by Penguin Canada, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.