Love baking quickies like this carrot cake loaf? Here are all our favourite loaf cakes (because, why not?).
Carrot cake loaf with cream cheese icingBy Chatelaine
There's nothing more classic than a carrot cake loaf. We top ours with sweet and creamy cream cheese icing and pepitas. Serve it tonight.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 tbsp pepitas
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- PREHEAT oven to 350F and spray a 9 × 5-in. loaf pan with oil.
- WHISK flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt in a large bowl. Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, both sugars and vanilla in a medium bowl, then stir into flour mixture until just combined. Stir in carrots.
- SCRAPE batter into prepared pan and bake until a tester inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean, 50 to 60 min. Cool in pan for 10 min. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- CREAM CHEESE ICING: Beat cream cheese with icing sugar (add ½ cup at a time) in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Spread over cooled loaf and sprinkle with pepitas.