Updated Dec 5, 2018Chatelaine
- MELT butter in a medium saucepan (preferably not non-stick) set over medium. Cook, stirring often when butter becomes foamy, until it smells nutty and turns dark brown, 5 to 6 min. Pour through a fine sieve into a large bowl and freeze until semi-firm, 40 to 50 min.
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 300F. Lightly spray an 8×8-in. square baking pan with oil.
- USING an electric mixer on medium, beat semi-firm brown butter until fluffy, about 2 min. Gradually beat in sugar, salt and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and beat in flour until just combined. Scrape dough into prepared pan. Press down into pan, then smooth top. Bake until centre of shortbread turns light golden, 35 to 40 min. Transfer pan to rack to cool, about 10 min. Carefully cut into 25 squares in the pan. Let cool completely, about 40 min.
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment paper and set a rack on top. Arrange shortbread squares on rack. Temper chocolate and cacao butter.
- SPOON chocolate mixture over shortbread until tops are covered. Let stand for 10 min to firm slightly. Use remaining chocolate to drizzle lines over shortbread. Let stand until chocolate is firm, about 30 min.
Kitchen Tip: To roast white chocolate, spread 170 g chopped white chocolate in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 250F, folding and smoothing out chocolate with an offset spatula every 10 min, until chocolate is a deep golden colour, about 1 hr. Let cool to room temperature, about 30 min, then refrigerate until hardened enough to chop, about 1 1/2 hr more.
Kitchen Tip: Look for roasted white chocolate bars at gourmet candy stores.
Kitchen Tip: Store in a covered container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.
NutritionCalories 105, Protein 1 g, Carbohydrates 8 g, Fat 8 g, Sodium 27 mg.
Weekend Baking: Classic butter tarts