1 1/4 cups
, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly spray an 8 × 4-in. loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until frothy, about 1 min. Gradually add 2 tbsp sugar. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, about 3 more min. Set aside.
- Beat avocado with butter in a large bowl until smooth. Beat in remaining sugar, until very fluffy, about 3 min. Beat in egg yolk, milk and vanilla.
- Stir in half of flour mixture with a spatula. Fold in half the egg whites until combined. Fold in remaining flour mixture and egg whites. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in centre of oven until loaf is golden brown, 40 min. Cover loosely with foil and continue baking until a cake tester inserted in centre of loaf comes out clean, 20 to 25 more min. Cool in pan
on a rack for 10 min, then turn loaf out onto rack to cool completely.
- Push raspberries through a sieve into a bowl, using the bottom of a ladle. Discard seeds. Purée should measure 2 to 3 tbsp. Whisk in icing sugar until smooth. Spoon glaze over pound cake. Unglazed loaf will keep well, wrapped in foil and frozen, up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 47 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 129 mg.
These high-fibre berries help mop up free radicals and cancer-causing substances.
Just half has more potassium than a banana, plus good fats and brain-protecting folate.