French Onion BurgerBy Chatelaine
This decadent, incredibly juicy burger recipe can be easily whipped up on a weeknight, but is impressive enough for company.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , divided
- 1 Spanish onion , sliced into rounds
- 1 cup beef broth
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 slices Gruyère cheese
- 4 brioche burger buns , split
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chopped parlsey
- 1 cup arugula , (optional)
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium. Reserve 1 tbsp in a small bowl. Add onion to pan and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 min. Pour in broth and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft, about 15 min.
- Meanwhile, combine beef with thyme and Dijon in a large bowl. Divide into 4 portions, then form into four 4-in. patties. Sprinkle both sides with salt and ¼ tsp pepper.
- Preheat barbecue or grill pan on medium. Oil grill. Cook patties, lid closed, until cooked through, 5 to 6 min per side. Melt a slice of cheese on each patty, lid closed, 2 min.
- Brush reserved 1 tbsp butter on insides of brioche buns, then place on grill to toast, about 2 min.
- Meanwhile, stir mayo with parsley and remaining 3/4 tsp pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread bottom buns with pepper mayo. Layer with patties, sautéed onions and arugula. Sandwich with top bun.