Blackberry waffles with compoteBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Ripe berries, rich cream and a dusting of sugar are a gorgeous way to dress up those weekend waffles.
- 500 g blackberries , about 4 cups
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice , reserve zest for waffles before juicing lemon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- COMBINE blackberries with honey and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high. Stir when berries release their juices. Reduce heat. Simmer, mashing berries with
a wooden spoon, until mixture starts to thicken, 35 to 40 min. Stir in lemon juice.
- PREHEAT waffle iron. Whisk flours with lemon zest, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- WHISK egg with milk in a medium bowl. Whisk in flour mixture until almost combined. Stir in butter until smooth. Fold in 1/3 cup compote until swirled, not over-mixed. Ladle mixture into waffle iron. Cook following manufacturer’s directions. Serve with remaining compote.
The ultimate chocolate waffle batter
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 57 g,
- 15 g,
- 9 g,
- 351 mg.
- Excellent source of