Classic No-Knead Bread
Photo, Roberto Caruso.
This light, fluffy loaf takes time, but there's no kneading required. Plus, being able to say you made it from scratch will feel deeply satisfying.
3 1/2 cups
1 1/2 tsp
- Stir 3 cups flour with yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in 1 2/3 cups water until blended. The dough will look wet and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at room temperature for at least 12 hours, preferably 18, until dotted with bubbles.
- Transfer dough to a well-floured surface. Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup more flour and fold dough over on itself once or twice. Dough will still be very soft. Cover loosely with same plastic wrap, and flip the bowl upside down to cover dough. Set aside for 2 hr.
- Position rack in centre of oven and place heavy 6- to 8-L stainless steel or enamel pot in oven. Preheat to 450F at least 30 min before dough is ready.
- Remove plastic wrap from dough. Sprinkle with any remaining flour, if needed (to keep dough from sticking to work surface or your fingers), and quickly shape dough into a ball. Carefully remove pot from oven and place on a heatproof surface. Place dough in pot (it’s OK if it looks a little messy).
- Cover with lid and bake 30 min. Remove lid and continue baking until top of bread is golden brown, 15 to 20 min more. Remove bread to a rack to cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Bread will keep well, wrapped tightly in foil, at room temperature for up to two days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 28 g,
- 1 g,
- 1 g,
- 288 mg.