Light the fire between you and your loved one by cooking a romantic meal that include recipes that are nutritious and increase sexual desire and stamina. Together, these plant-based, high-nutrient ingredients will make for a delicious, guilt-free dinner that will not only keep your heart healthy, but your love life too!
Heart beet salad with pumpkin seeds, avocado and figs
Load your plate with greens, toss in some roasted beets then add the extra goods. Start with some avocado, which helps to increase both male and female libido as it contains a high level of folic acid and provides you with more energy. Add in pumpkin seeds, which contain zinc, important for testosterone production for men, but also helps to sustain sexual desire in women. Pumpkin seeds are also rich in the essential fatty acid omega 3. Top them on your salad for a rich nutritional boost and crunch! Bulk up the salad with dried figs. Figs are very high in amino acids, which are critical to increasing your libido and boosting sexual stamina.
2 lemons, juiced
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 pound or bunch of wild arugula
1 beet, steamed and peeled and chilled, shaved on the mandolin or cut into heart shape slices
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup dried black mission figs, sliced
1 avocado, cubed
1. With a sharp paring knife, cut away the ends and the outer peel of the lemons along with the seeds, leaving some of the white pith. Cut the lemons in halves or quarters and add to blender with honey. Blend on high speed for about a minute to break up.
2. With the blender running on medium speed, slowly pour in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the greens and beets with enough dressing to generously coat. Divide among serving plates and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and dried figs.
Roasted garlic black bean dip
Garlic may be bad on your breath but it’s great for your sex drive. It contains high levels of allicin, which is a compound that can improve blood flow to the sexual organs. Allicin can only be produced through an enzyme reaction – only when garlic has been chopped. So make sure to include chopped garlic or roast a whole head, blend it up with some black beans, lemon juice, cumin, olive oil and sea salt for a smooth and creamy dip.
1 cup cooked black beans or canned black beans
1/4 cup tahini
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice or lemon juice
1 head of garlic, roasted (in oven on 400F for an hour)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon sea salt pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Drain the cooked beans, and rinse in a colander.
2. Combine beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne in a food processor.
3. With machine running, gradually add the water and pulsing until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. 4. Taste to adjust seasoning
5. Serve with crackers.
Maca is an ancient superfood that’s believed to improve sexual performance and libido. It can increase testosterone in men which may help sufferers of erectile dysfunction and impotency, and be effective in increasing sperm count. For the ladies, maca is renowned for increasing sex-drive and fertility. Combine this buzzing root with frozen banana in your blender, pour into a glass and top with some raw chocolate. Bananas are an excellent source of B vitamins including potassium and riboflavin, which increase the bodies overall energy levels and are vital for sex hormone production. It also helps to boost the male libido.
Marni Wasserman is a culinary nutritionist in Toronto whose philosophy is stemmed around whole foods. She is dedicated to providing balanced lifestyle choices through natural foods. Using passion and experience, she strives to educate individuals on how everyday eating can be simple and delicious.