- Pit olives. Finely chop. Thinly slice green onion. Place both in a small bowl. Add feta and oregano. Stir. Working with one chicken breast at a time, make a horizontal slit about 1-1/2 inches (3.5 cm) long in thickest part. Insert index finger and wiggle to form a small wide pocket. Stuff each chicken breast with a rounded tablespoon (22 mL) cheese mixture.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, over medium heat. Add garlic. Stir often 1 minute. Add chicken and cook until lightly golden, 3 minutes per side. Stir in water. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is springy when pressed, 8 to 10 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking.
- While chicken is cooking, slice tomatoes in half. Slice basil into thick strips. When chicken is done, remove to plates and spoon any pan juices overtop. Top with tomatoes and basil. Great with steamed broccoli spears, roasted potatoes (see below) and a cucumber-and-lettuce salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
This healthy Greek-inspired saute cooks up in 15 minutes. Just roast the potatoes while you make it — perfect for a casual Friday night dinner. Opa!
Try stirring these other delicious combinations into the feta cheese in our recipe:
– diced, canned jalapeno peppers, sliced green onions and cumin
– chopped sun-dried tomato with dried or fresh basil
– finely chopped, bottled marinated artichokes and pinches of dried oregano
– ginger marmalade, ground cumin and chopped fresh coriander
Slice 8 small potatoes into 2 or 3 pieces each. Toss with 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast at 450F (230C), stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, 15 to 18 minutes.