This article has not been rated yet.
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- Standing Time:
- 10 minutes
- Baking Time:
- 55 minutes
- 12 slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each raisins, chopped dried apricots and chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each ground nutmeg, ginger and allspice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 14 oz (398 mL) can unsweetened pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
Loaded with dried fruit and topped with a savoury rosemary glaze, our pumpkin cake is moist and light. It’s sure to become a family favourite.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly butter or spray with oil a bundt pan that will hold at least 9 cups (2.25 L). Measure out and prepare raisins, apricots and pecans. In a large bowl, place flour, baking powder and soda, spices and salt. Add brown sugar. Using a fork, stir until evenly mixed. In a medium-size bowl, whisk eggs with milk, oil and vanilla. Whisk in pumpkin just until smooth. Scrape into flour mixture, then stir just until mixed. Stir in raisins, apricots and pecans until evenly distributed. Turn into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake in centre of 350F (180C) oven until a cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Run a knife around outer pan edges to loosen cake. Turn out onto a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, pour juice into a small bowl. Using a fork, stir in sugar, then orange peel and rosemary until shiny and smooth. Spoon overtop cooled cake, letting some drip down sides. Scoop up any glaze from sheet and re-drizzle overtop. Cake will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days or in the refrigerator at least 1 week.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 6.2 g
- 9.9 g
- 67.3 g
- 5.6 g
- 2.6 mg
- 94 mg
- 263 mg