This article has not been rated yet.
- Preparation time:
- 25 minutes
- Standing Time:
- 15 minutes
- Roasting Time:
- 4 minutes
- 10 to 12 servings
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground sage and garlic powder
- 12 to 16 lb (6 to 8 kg) turkey
Olé! Flavours of sage, oregano and garlic might just put you in the mood to break out the castanets while you roast the big bird!
- In a small bowl, stir butter with seasonings. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Remove neck and bag of giblets from inside of turkey; use for Sherry Gravy. Rinse bird inside and out under cold running water. Pat dry. Place breast side down in a roasting pan. Fill neck cavity with stuffing. Don’t overpack it, stuffing expands as it cooks. Bring neck skin up over back to enclose stuffing. Fasten with skewers or sew shut.
- Turn breast side up. Add enough stuffing to body cavity to completely fill. Don’t overpack. Fasten with skewers or sew shut. Tuck wing tips under bird. Tie legs together or tuck under skin flap. Rub a generous amount of herb butter over skin. Turn breast side down in pan. Rub with more butter. Cover with a tent of foil and seal to pan edges.
- Roast in centre of preheated oven 2 hours. Remove foil and turn breast side up. Baste with pan juices. Brush with remaining butter. Continue to roast, uncovered and basting occasionally with pan juices, until drumstick moves easily in joint and a meat thermometer inserted into thigh reads 180F (80C). This will take 2 to 3-1/4 more hours, about 20 minutes per pound (500 g). If turkey is browning too quickly in one area, cover just that area with a piece of foil. Remove roasted bird to a cutting board. Cover loosely with foil. Let stand at least 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 72.4 g
- 35.6 g
- 31.9 g
- 2.6 g
- 7.2 mg
- 143 mg
- 941 mg