Shopping tip: Miki noodles, also called Shanghai, are thick egg noodles available in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. Regular spaghetti works just as well. Use about 250 g.
Tofu egg-noodle laksa soupBy Chatelaine
Full of veggies, this rich coconut noodle soup also stars crisp tofu — making it a balanced weeknight meal and exotic comfort food.
- 400-g pkg miki noodles , cooked
- 454-g block extra-firm tofu
- 227-g pkg mixed mushrooms
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 398-mL can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tsp yellow curry paste
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 small carrot , cut into matchsticks
- 2 cups bean sprouts , drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- SOAK miki noodles in a large bowl of hot water for about 10 min. Drain noodles and rinse well. Pat dry extra-firm tofu with paper towels. Cut in half horizontally, then cut into 1/2 -in. slices. Rinse and pat dry mixed mushrooms. Cut off and discard stems from shiitakes. Tear oyster mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Thickly slice shiitakes and creminis.
- HEAT a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium- high. Add vegetable oil, then tofu. Do not crowd pan. You may have to do this in 2 batches. Fry tofu until golden, about 2 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel- lined plate. Reduce heat to medium and add mushrooms to pan. Cook, stirring often, until soft, 2 to 4 min. Transfer mushrooms to same plate as tofu. Add coconut milk to pan along with water, fish sauce, yellow curry paste, brown sugar, coriander and carrot. Bring to a boil. Return tofu and mushrooms to pan. Gently boil for 5 min.
- DIVIDE bean sprouts and noodles among 5 bowls. Ladle laksa mixture into bowls. Top with cilantro.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 33 g,
- 30 g,
- 4 g,
- 1006 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A
Pair it with: A classic Niagara Riesling
The addition of some unfermented grape juice makes this wine a touch sweeter and a bit lower in alcohol, creating a wonderful match for the spices and Asian flavourings of laksa. It boasts classic Niagara riesling aromatics of lime, grapefruit and honey. Our pick: Angel’s Gate Süssreserve Riesling, Ontario, $14.