Refreshingly cool greens are the perfect counterpart to hot, garlicky grilled chicken in this fuss-free Greek meal. A container of tzatziki makes a fabulous dressing.
Barbecued souvlaki salad
8 to 10 servings
- 12 skewers , about 12-in. long
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 hearts romaine lettuce , about 510 g or 1 large head romaine
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 227-g container tzatziki , about 1 cup
- 2 tbsp milk
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water at least 15 minutes to avoid burning during grilling. Lightly oil grill and heat barbecue to medium. In a medium-size bowl, stir oil with garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cut chicken into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces. Add to bowl and turn to coat, rubbing spices evenly over chicken. Thread onto skewers, leaving a little space between pieces. Grill with lid closed, turning occasionally, until chicken is golden and feels slightly springy when pressed, 7 to 10 minutes in total. Remove from grill.
- Meanwhile, coarsely tear romaine into large pieces and arrange on a platter. Slice tomatoes into thin wedges. Slice unpeeled cucumber in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out and discard seeds. Slice into n-inch (1-cm) pieces. Smash olives with flat edge of a large knife. Discard pits, then slice olives in half. Scatter all over lettuce, then crumble cheese overtop. In a small bowl, stir tzatziki with milk. Lay skewers on top of salad, then drizzle with about three-quarters of tzatziki dressing. Serve remainder as a dipping sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22.4 g,
- 6 g,
- 8.7 g,
- 1.9 g,
- 581 mg.