Modern mac and cheese
* PLUS Cooking time: 8 minutes, Baking Time: 15 minutes
If you think your recipe for this comfort-food fave couldn't be more decadent, think again. Our three-cheese version is over-the-top and utterly delish.
small penne, macaroni or fusilli
, or 1 tsp Dijon
3 1/2 cups
, preferably 3.25%
, crumbled, or 250-g block cream cheese, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C). Bring a large, wide saucepan filled with water to a boil. Meanwhile, cut half of cheddar into ½-in. (1-cm) cubes and set aside. Grate remaining cheddar and all of the mozzarella into a medium bowl. Toss to mix. Set 1 cup (250 mL) of cheese mixture aside. Slice prosciutto into thin strips.
- Cook pasta, following package directions, until al dente, 8 to 10 min. Drain well. Return to pan. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When bubbly, sprinkle flour overtop. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly for 1 min. Add seasonings. Gradually pour in milk, continuously stirring and making sure to get into the corners. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir frequently until sauce comes to a gentle boil. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in grated cheddar-mozzarella mix (except for reserved amount).
- Pour cheese sauce over drained hot pasta and stir to evenly coat. Crumble in goat cheese and add cheddar cubes, prosciutto and chives. Stir to distribute.
- Turn into a 9 × 13-in. (3-L) baking dish or spoon into 8 to 12 individual baking dishes that will hold at least 1 cup (250 mL) each. Space individual dishes slightly apart on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with the reserved grated cheese mix. Place sheet or baking dish in centre of preheated oven. Bake until bubbly and cheese on top is melted and golden, 15 to 20 min.
Chatelaine Quickies: Macaroni and cheese with roasted butternut squash
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 34 g,
- 26 g,
- 2 g,
- 604 mg.