Jamie Oliver's Meatballs alla NormaBy Chatelaine
Jamie Oliver came by our kitchen for a visit, and shared some recipes with us from his new cookbook, Save with Jamie.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley , (1/2 oz)
- 14 oz ground beef
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 7 oz quick-cooking polenta
- 1 knob of unsalted butter
- 1 oz parmesan cheese
- DICE the eggplant into 1/2-in. cubes, then season well with salt and leave for 15 min. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley (stalks and all), reserving a few leaves for garnish, and put into a bowl with the beef. Scrunch and mix together by hand, then divide into 20 equal pieces and roll into balls. Scatter the fennel seeds on a plate and roll the meatballs in them so they stick nicely, then pop into the fridge to firm up until needed.
- TAKE handfuls of the eggplant and squeeze out the excess salty liquid, then put into a saucepan on a medium heat with a lug of oil to cook for 10 min, or until golden, stirring occasionally. Squash in the garlic through a garlic press, stir in the sweet chili sauce and balsamic, then tip in the tomatoes and a splash of water. Simmer for around 10 min, or until thickened.
- MEANWHILE, brown the meatballs in a separate saucepan on a medium heat with a lug of oil for about 10 min, or until golden all over and cooked through. Cook the polenta according to package instructions until you’ve got a good oozy consistency, adding the butter and a grating of parmesan at the end. Season the sauce to perfection, then toss the meatballs through it and serve on top of the polenta, with the reserved parsley leaves scattered over and an extra grating of parmesan, if you like.
Watch Jamie Oliver cook healthy recipes in the Chatelaine Kitchen
[brightcove id=’2735206296001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)