Cozy up to a big bowl of soup for dinner! It’s easy when you dress up a can of soup with what’s on hand. This soup is loaded with spicy sausages and quick-cooking orzo (tiny rice-shaped pasta).
Italian sausage and tomato soup
4 cups (1 L), for 4 servings
- 2 mild or hot Italian sausages
- vegetable oil
- 284-mL can undiluted tomato soup
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup orzo or quick-cooking rice
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- chopped fresh basil , or parsley (optional)
- Cut sausages in half. Lightly coat a large saucepan with oil, then set over medium heat. Squeeze meat from casings into pan (discard casings). Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly and cook until no longer pink, 5 minutes. Then stir in soup with 2 cans of water, dillweed and paprika. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add orzo. Stir often until tender, about 5 minutes. Add frozen vegetables. Stir often until hot, 3 minutes. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11.2 g,
- 24.3 g,
- 16.5 g,
- 2.6 g,
- 768 mg.